Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Can you make the text bigger?


The other day, our editor commented that the text on the new web pages was too small. I replied noting we both had larger than average screens (1920 x 1200 pixels) which made the text look small. I mentioned use of "command +" or "command -" to change font size. 

A couple of weeks later another member, John Morden, said he saw a web page with text icons to set the text size and asked me if I could add them to our site.

I took up the challenge. Article #126 on the "A List Apart" web site explained the how and why of changing font sizes by flipping CSS scripts. A javascript does the heavy lifting, putting a cookie on the viewer's computer to remember the preferred text size for all other pages on the site with the necessary code imbedded.

I modified the template pages and updated eight of the new pages, six have been uploaded. The other "new style" pages need to be linked to the appropriate template before I upload them.

The revised pages have two characters "a A" on the far left of the navigation bar---  enjoy.
   

No comments: