Monday, April 28, 2008

Bye Bye GoLive

Adobe has stopped development and sales of GoLive as of this week. Adobe hinted that GoLive's time was short when it chose Dreamweaver for the web authoring tool in the CS3 suites. I switched over when I upgrade to a Mac and CS3 last fall. 

GoLive was certainly a step forward in the tools I used for the web, but looking back, it added a lot of extra code to a page to track image pop ups and while it had a novel approach to custom layout via complex tables, it sometimes lost its way in the process while giving you code that was very difficult to maintain.

Today's world actively discourages the use of tables in this manner. While I have become accustom to using DW, the interface is a bit different than the traditional Adobe products. I noticed the same thing with Flash and Fireworks - some neat tools but steeper learning curves than say, Lightroom which builds comfortably on Photoshop.

No comments: